Did You Know That A Water Leak Could Be Making You Sick?

Many homeowners believe that a tiny water leak is no reason for concern. The amount of water is minimal, and there is little or no damage caused by a drop or two of water. But that is far from the truth in many cases. Any water leak holds the potential for a significant amount of water damage to your home. And in almost every case, a minor water leak continues to erode the pipe or fitting to create a significant leak and costly damage. But what most homeowners never consider is the potential for mold and mildew growth from even a small water leak.

The Low Down On Mold And Mildew

Both mold and mildew are in the fungi family, even though their appearance is slightly different. To survive, they need air, food, water, and a temperature range of about 41 to 104 degrees to thrive. And they are everywhere around your home and in the outdoor air. So eliminating mold entirely is not possible. What you must do is eliminate one of its other necessities. Because both fungi can consume wood and other building materials, the only option is to remove the moisture that mold and mildew need to thrive.

Mildew And Mold

Mildew is thought of at the lesser of the two evils. It is lighter in color and has a powdery texture. Typically mildew is only on the surface of a material such as a bathroom tile or grout. The spores cause an allergic reaction in some people and pets, but mildew can be eliminated with bleach or vinegar. Mold, however, is the more serious of the two fungi. It can grow in moist areas in 24-48 hours and penetrate surfaces, making it much harder to eliminate.

The color of mold is often darker, and it carries a foul or pungent odor. These spores contain many more allergens and irritants. Mold is known to cause serious health issues ranging from skin irritation on contact to respiratory problems.

Health Issues Caused By Mold And Mildew Exposure

Unfortunately, many homeowners suffer from health issues related to mold and mildew even when they are not visible. Mold and mildew inside the walls and floors of your home produce millions of spores that contaminate the air that you and your loved ones breathe. Inhaling these spores can result in:

  • Throat and nose irritation
  • Itch, red or swollen eyes
  • Frequent coughing or sneezing
  • Upper and lower respiratory infections
  • Sinus congestion
  • Fatigue
  • Fever
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Skin rash or irritation

If you or a loved one had been suffering from unexplained breathing issues or unusual complications to a pre-existing breathing condition, mold and mildew could be to blame. And these allergic reactions are not limited to humans. Your domestic pets can be suffering from the same responses. You might also notice that your pet has become more lethargic or is constantly scratching.

The Solution

Eliminating mold and mildew’s water source is essential. Call (334) 206-8878 to book a visit from Alabama Home Pros licensed plumber. Our experts will inspect your home’s plumbing system for leaks and determine the source of the water. Then we will provide you with cost-effective repairs and solutions.

Once the moisture issue is corrected, the mildew and mold will need to be removed. In the case of small infestations or surface mold, disinfecting the area will suffice. For a more significant infestation in walls or floors, professional mold abatement will be necessary. The process removes any materials contaminated by mold. Then the repairs to the infested areas can begin without risk of further mold contamination and spreading.